List:       netatalk-devel
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-devel] netatalk: cannot login as root
From:       Thomas Kaiser <Thomas.Kaiser () phg-online ! de>
Date:       2008-09-04 6:29:55

Meta Clam wrote:

> If your group makes it so hard to post a bug report or email someone
> responsible, lots of bugs will go unreported.

And the list wouldn't get flooded with questions from people that do not
even want to understand what netatalk is. Which is not that bad IMO :-)

>>> Thanks for Netatalk. My iPhone appears in the shared list just fine.  I can
>>> login as mobile.  However I cannot login as root. I get a connection error.

Perfect.

Netatalk isn't the tool of choice to modify the file system of lifestyle
gadgets like iPhones. It's an AFP server implementation (amongst other
things) for *file servers* that stores files in a way incompatible with your
iPhone's file system.

So if you're thinking about bug reports inform the person(s) that made it
possible to install Netatalk on an iPhone instead ('Cydia'?).

Not be able to login as root is definitely a feature and not a bug. If
you're interested in details please compare with

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.netatalk.devel/32

and become familiar with the -admingroup feature in afpd.conf:

    http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/2.0/htmldocs/afpd.conf.5.html

And please have always in mind that Netatalk is a file server implementation
for Unix servers and Apple Clients and not a way to share your iPhone's root
filesystem (explanation above)

Regards,

Thomas