List:       netatalk-devel
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-devel] AFP proxy
From:       Thomas Kaiser <Thomas.Kaiser () phg-online ! de>
Date:       2008-05-15 10:24:05

John wrote:

> Forgive my dimness on the subject, but is it correct to say that in proxy
> mode, afpd currently will not proxy incoming afp-over-tcp connections - only
> afp-over-appletalk - hence the need for the appletalk module to be enabled and
> why I'm getting the 'Address family not supported by protocol' message?

The -proxy switch is suitable for registering NBP entities [1] in an
AppleTalk network. So it's just a mechanism for service propagation and does
no proxying on any network layer.

If you use

    "real server" -uamlist "" -ipaddr real.server.add.ress -proxy

in afpd.conf then afpd/atalkd will register an AppleTalk entity

    real server:AFPServer@*

which can be found by NBP browser (MacOS pre 10 does this by default, MacOS
X only if you activated AppleTalk in Directory[ Services].app). A client
then asks the server for the list of connection methods via a FPGetSrvrInfo
request [2] and potentially tries to connect with the server in question.

So all about service propagation/location solely relying on AppleTalk and no
means of a 'real' proxy mechanism translating/converting/processing AFP
packets.

Regards,

Thomas

[1] compare with nbp(1): <http://netatalk.sf.net/2.0/htmldocs/nbp.1.html>