List:       netatalk-devel
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-devel] UAMs: why the 'M'?
From:       Philip Edelbrock <phil () netroedge ! com>
Date:       2003-01-30 18:41:21

Sebastian Rittau wrote:

>Netatalk uses libtool for module generation. libtool uses a sane
>approach and is widely used and well tested. I don't think that we
>should support systems that are broken enough that libtool support is
>impossible for them.

Something is broken with libtool when Netatalk is built on OS-X.  To get
the UAMs to build, I needed to hand edit the libtool script to avoid
violations in the flags passed to gcc.  Libs also had the wrong suffixes
(I saw ".so" when they should have been ".dylib" for OS-X).  Perhaps it
is an old libtool?

>I actually consider modularization (and also run-time modules) to ease
>the maintainance of Netatalk on the code level as well as the
>administrative level.

I think the code could be organized in a basic way to keep it well
organized and easier to maintain without the odd API for external shared
object files.  The current system has additional code overhead which
requires more maintenance (like keeping libtool up to date? :').  The
current system also depends on an undefined system of dynamic objects
calling functions in the linking app, which may not be universally
reliable.  It's clever, but seemingly not vary portable the way it is now.

>What are your specific problems with the current approach? What doesn't
>work? What are the error messages?

Some problems I had include: names of shared lib files were ".so" or
".yes" instead of ".dylib".  And, libtool throws the '-install_name'
flag w/ the '-bundle' which isn't allowed (stopping the build with an
error).  For details, read the thread from a few weeks ago entitled
'Anyone compiled for OSX?'

Sorry, I'm actually trying to drive at a solution and not just complain.
;')  I suggest we simplify the UAM system and simply link it in.  I was
wondering if there was a serious need for the current way the auth stuff
is modularized, but it seems that there is not (any longer, anyway).  In
the short term, it may be helpful to have the libtool in the Netatalk
distro updated, if that is indeed part of the problem?

Phil