List:       netatalk-devel
Subject:    [Netatalk-devel] ANNOUNCEMENT: New Branch- Project Baltra  (afpd for MacOS-X)
From:       Philip Edelbrock <phil () netroedge ! com>
Date:       2003-01-29 19:40:40

(This is a brief announcement of a focused development/refinement of afpd.)

The primary goal of Baltra is to provide a Mac OS X compatible AFP file
sharing service. Since the code needs some extensive changes which will
break compatibility with many usual Netatalk features, we are putting
the development code base in a new branch until it is safe to roll the
project back into Netatalk.

Here's what we are trying to do:

- Save files on the server in such a way as to be compatible with OS X
(resource forks and attributes should be preserved)
- Build on OS X as well as Linux servers
- Be compatible with OS X clients (this is a common goal with the usual
Netatalk base)
- Preserve compatibility with Mac OS 9 clients

Also desired:

- Easy maintenance (simplified code for faster development/debugging)
- High Security
- Efficient/fast
- Rock-solid reliability

We need developers and testers!  If you are interested in helping out,
surf over to our web site:

http://www.baltra.org/

Phil and the Baltra Team