List:       netatalk-devel
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-devel] Netatalk 1.6 Preparations
From:       Simon Bazley <simon () eyeeye ! com>
Date:       2003-01-28 9:37:26

> > The logger only has the same access rights as the user thats logged in.  You need \
> > to make /var/log/netatalk.log world writable (but I'd advise not world readable) \
> > for it to work.  Without having a separate logging process thats runing as root, \
> > I don't see how this can be avoided.  Unless, since afpd has set its uid and gid \
> > to that of the user (it was initally root I assume), can it change them back \
> > momentarily?
>
> Any plans to fix the logging permissions?

There are 2 potential fixes, one is to keep open the logfile once it is
opened, the other is to log via a separate running process (like syslog).
There was talk of having a separate helper process to solve various
netatalk issues including this.  This would be my preferred solution.

However, when I first wrote the logger I though about keeping FILE's
open, but abandoned the idea, because a crash of afpd mean that the FILE
cache buffer was lost, so you never saw what caused the problem.  I
tidied up that bit of code some time last year, by calling fflush where
I would have called fclose.  The new code is switched on my defining
KEEP_LOGFILES_OPEN, which should be on by default.
However, it still opens the file as whichever user the process is, when
the file is opened.  I assume this is the uid that called afpd in the
first instance, which should be root.

> Jan 26 12:05:14 ibook afpd[28988]: [logger.c:593]: S:Logger: can't open Logfile \
> /var/log/netatalk.log

Like I say I'm not sure why you're still getting this, assuming you have
the current patches to the logger (which I think are in 1.6 as well as CVS)

> chmod a+w does hide the warning, but thats a hack.

Indeed it is a hack, but so is keeping open the log file and fflushing
it every time someone logs something.  I prefer the chmod a+w hack, it
should be quicker.

Simon