List:       netatalk-devel
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-devel] wrong sysvdir for --enable-suse
From:       Steve Freitas <steve () newportit ! com>
Date:       2003-01-21 20:59:24

> What do the others think? Is it better to support the init scripts and
> special --enable-foo-dist in the package or should we let the spec files
> (and other distribution specific setups) and the packagers handle this?

I appreciate having that support, because it means it's easy for me to install
on Redhat from source. Otherwise, I have to change my initscripts by hand,
which is a bit of a pain. It's trifling, I suppose, but if it doesn't hurt
anything to keep distro-specific support in place, I vote to keep it.

Actually, now that I think about it a little more, it's good to keep it
because it reduces tech support questions. Here's my reasonsing:
Distro-specific packages aren't always kept up-to-date, and that leaves
strong reasons to compile from source, whether for the latest stable tree or
to get features from CVS. A lot of Netatalk virgins come onto the -admin list
asking for help compiling. If we take support for distros out, it's going to
add a whole lot of "How do I get it to start up automatically or at all for
$myDistro?" questions to the list.

Steve