List:       netatalk-devel
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-devel] Re: ID schemes (was: Re: afpd.mtab)
From:       Joe Clarke <marcus () marcuscom ! com>
Date:       2001-12-21 3:17:56

On Thu, 2001-12-20 at 19:39, Rob Lineweaver wrote:

> > In my opinion, the only way to get real AFP-conformance (avoiding alias
> > problems, application problems and data loss by duplicate or reused
> > directory IDs) will be a database-driven solution. The netatalk developer
> > community is on the right way with CNID (many many thanks to Joe Clarke!).
> > But from my point of view we will really get into trouble when handling
> > files without notifying the database (that mean's handling files in any way
> > expect via afpd --> via UNIX commands, Samba, NFS or another afpd that
> > maintains a different database and so on...)
> >
> > Unfortunately I haven't had the time already to test this in depth. But my
> > limited testing showed similar problems as I had with Helios' EtherShare
> > (avoiding the use of their desktop utilities that can keep the database
> > up-to-date when handling files)
>
> (i'm moving this to the netatalk-devel list)
>
> what would be required to create such a set of tools (rm, mkdir, rmdir,
> cp, mv, etc.) for use with files on Netatalk/CNID volumes?  Could it be
> as simple as writing wrapper scripts (in, say, perl) that register the
> change with the volume's CNID database and then execute the normal
> command to perform the file operation?

Sure, you could do this in Perl.  It wouldn't be that difficult.
However, there already are utilities to do this using AppleDouble.  We
would need to merge functionality.  I can take this project after my
exploration of lastdid.  Of course, I was really hoping I could get one
or two people to help me with AFP 3.0 (especially someone willing to do
some work with Unicode).

Joe