List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: print/papd issues
From:       andrew morgan <morgan () orst ! edu>
Date:       2000-01-27 17:50:10

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:

> I've spent a lot of time to install appletalk->linux print
> spool.  The problem was that papd runs as root and it
> passes the print request by creating the file in spool
> directory of the destination printer.  The file is created
> with permissions "root.root 640" and lpd is not able to read
> it.  The remedy was to
>
> # chgrp lpd papd; chmod g+s papd
>
> The other one would probably be to specify
>
> pr="|lpr -Plw"
>
> in papd.conf.

Another member of this mailing list (sorry, forgot the name) posted a
patch to papd so that it would change the ownership of the file to allow
lpd to read it.  I was hoping to roll that patch into my own papd patches
when I finish my own changes.

> 2.  Would I be better off with the LPRng in place of good,
> old, sometimes-so-problematic lpr?  Any good/bad experience
> with LPRng?

I've been very happy with LPRng.  We're using it to handle about 40
printers and many thousands of jobs per day.  We use Samba and Netatalk as
front-ends to the system.  We have always used the pr=|lpr -Pblah method
in papd.conf though.  This is much more reliable than letting papd stick
its hands in the spool directory...

	Andy