List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [netatalk-admins] NFS/SMB/Appleshare on the same file system
From:       "Yannai A. Gonczarowski" <yannaigo () leyada ! jlm ! k12 ! il>
Date:       1997-07-13 11:00:09

Kamal Kantawala wrote:

> Dear Samba, Netatalk Administrators,
>
> I have the following question:
>
> Is it possible to do the following?
>
> On a Sun Sparcstation running Solaris 2.5, I want to able to share a single
> file system volume via NFS, Samba, and Netatalk. Also, I would like to know
> if there are problems with file locking in the above scenario , i.e. is it
> possible to stop more than one person from accessing the same file at the
> same time? I would be running Solaris 2.5 on the NFS clients, Win 95/NT on
> the Samba clients, and MacOS 7.5.x on the Netatalk clients. Most of the files
> would be Documents, mostly Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Exel etc. The NFS client
> usage is not an immediate need.
>
> If anybody has experience with a similar configuration, your experiences
> and feedback would be very helpful.

I'm doing about the same thing:
SunOS 4.1.4, NFS, SMB, netatalk.

However, I don't know about file locking. I never really had this
problem. Where one can write, the others either have read-only, or don't
access the same files.

Bye,
Yannai.

--
Yannai A. Gonczarowski     System Administrator
yannaigo@leyada.jlm.k12.il

"Do you want to know something? Everybody's human."
"I find that remark insulting."
  - Kirk and Spock, "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered contry", stardate
9529.1