List:       netatalk
Subject:    SUMMARY: LocalTalk hosts can't see AppleShare server thru atalkd
From:       Jeff Makey <makey () VisiCom ! COM>
Date:       1993-12-15 18:04:12

My problem with LocalTalk hosts being unable to see AppleShare servers
through atalkd had a two-part solution:

The first step (thanks to wesley.craig@umich.edu) is to get and
install version 1.3b3 of netatalk from ~ftp/pub/n-13b3.tar.Z on
terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu.

The second step (of my own invention) is to change the atalkd.conf
file to specify non-seed zone information on interfaces that already
have EtherTalk traffic.  In my case, my atalkd.conf file changed from

    le1
    le0 -seed -phase 2 -net 20501-20501 -zone "San Diego"

    le1 -phase 2 -net 20500-20500 -zone "San Diego" -zone "Twilight Zone"
    le0 -seed -phase 2 -net 20501-20501 -zone "San Diego"

These changes, combined with a final reboot of the routing
SPARCstation to clean everything up, have resulted in the desired
extension of my EtherTalk network past an IP gateway.  I assume that
other minor problems (such as the awful output of "netstat -r" on the
gateway) will be dealt with as the software matures.

                        :: Jeff Makey
                           makey@VisiCom.COM