List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: atalkd and zones
From:       wesley.craig () umich ! edu
Date:       1993-08-02 20:44:42

> From:    jbotz@orixa.mtholyoke.edu (Jurgen Botz)
> To:      netatalk-admins@itd.umich.edu

FYI: netatalk-1.3b is not released.  I'll send mail and post news when
it is.

> Specifically, I can't get it to appear in the zone I want it in...

Here's text from the updated man page:

     Each wire is defined to  have  a  ``default''  zone.   Under
     Phase 1, there is only one zone.  Under Phase 2, all routers
     on the network are configured with the default zone.  atalkd
     maps  ``*''  to  the  default  zone  of the first interface.
     Note:  The default zone for a machine is determined  by  the
     configuration  of  the  local  routers;  to appear in a non-
     default zone, each service, e.g.   afpd,  must  individually
     specify the desired zone.  See also nbp_name(3).

I haven't written the man page for nbp_name, yet.  The syntax to start
afpd in a different zone would be something like

	afpd -n @other-zone

The idea is to be able to register services in multiple zones

	afpd -n @zone1 -n @zone2

That codes not written yet either, tho.

> Why is more than one useful?

If you're not seeding a network (which you can only do if you're a
router) and don't have more than one network interface, the atalkd.conf
file is unnecessary.  At some point, atalkd will have code written to
dynamically rewrite its atalkd.conf.  This will speedup booting by
eliminating part of the dynamic configuration process.

If you are a seed router, you need multiple -zone options to specify
multiple zones.  The first -zone you give is the default for the interface.

:wes