List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [netatalk-admins] HELP: Using encrypted passwords (RAND2NUM)
From:       Magnus Stenman <stone () hkust ! se>
Date:       1999-02-28 14:31:33

You don't have to search the net for the answer...
look in README.ASUN (in the asun tarball):

i've added Randnum and 2-Way Randnum support. part of the code is
compliments of<shirsch@ibm.net>. as afp doesn't do the
fallback thing in case of failure, Randnum and 2-Way Randnum
are only available via afpd.conf. To get them to work, each
user must have a ~/.passwd file (not read-/writeable by anyone
else) with a password. this is a potential security problem as
root can read the password. this may be compensated, to some
extent, by the fact that your password never goes onto the wire
when mounting a volume.

/magnus