List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [netatalk-admins] File locking issues?
From:       Jonathan Peterson <jon () amxdigital ! com>
Date:       1998-04-16 13:57:41

At 10:30 AM 4/16/98 +0100, Johan Meiring wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I had a Linux server setup with Samba 1.9.17alpha4 (also 1.9.16p11) and
>netatalk (I think 1.3.1 or something of the sort).
>
>File locking was working perfectly, from both sides.  The PC told you it
>could only open the file read-only, and the Mac refused to open it, if the
>other has the file open.
>
>Is file locking enabled on your samba server?

Under Samba locking is enabled, but strict locking is not.
I'm not aware of there being any locking options on netatalk, I've
certainly not set anything.

Locking does seem to be very program dependant. Microsoft apps are normally
very good at requesting locks and such, in my experience. I could try
turning on strict locking for samba and seeing what the difference is.

--------
Jon Peterson	jon@amxdigital.com	+44 (0)171 613 5300

"Behold the duck, it does not cluck,
A cluck it lacks. It quacks."