List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [netatalk-admins] time out problme
From:       cupples_s () 4j ! lane ! edu
Date:       1998-02-27 23:20:53

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Casey Bisson wrote:

> I may have had a similar problem sometime ago. We were using an old 486 DX4100
> with a DEC EtherWorks 10bT adapter.
>
> When we fired netatlk up while on a network with a PowerBook, a hub, and the
> netatlk server, it ran fine. But when we tried to integrate it with the rest of
> the network, it was blind to the world. That is, IP services worked fine, but it
> would not register itself as an AFP server.

I can see the rest of the network, in both instances, but When it is off
by its self with a mac and/or other random network hardware it just wont
do it

> We had our network engineer working on the problem, sniffing packets, and pulling
> his hair out untill he turned around and said it was a systems problem.
>
> We tried all sorts of solutions: we started with the FreeBSD pkg, we downloaded
> many different sources and compiled those. Reformat, reinstall. We tried asun's
> patched sources, and IP only AFP services worked fine. We tried all this
> repeatedly, and at the time, we kept good notes about what we tried, and how
> miserably it failed.
Boy this sounds way to fimiliar
> We eventually gave up and ordered a fairlyy hopped up pentium machine to run WinNT
> and use Microsoft's appleshare server for NT.

I think I am going to insstall win NT on this box and DSBreeF on A k6 I
just bought.

> Just so that we could say we didn't give up without a fight, we intalled FreeBSD
> and the netatalk pkg on the new machine. It ran beautifully, and still does. We've
> upgraded to the asun patched version, and it runs well. What can I say that will
> help you? Not much. The fact is, I didn't understand the problem and thus cannot
> fathom the solution. I suppose that's why I believe in luck and other inexplicable
> things.

> Mainly, we blame the problems on the ethenet card. We've had problems with
> EtherWorks cards in the past, and nobody from DEC was around to defend the card.
> For the record, we are now running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a Dell Optiplex 166MHz Pentium
> with 80MB of RAM and a 3com 10/100 card.

Unforutnatley It is not the card, sience your message I tried it with a
ne2000 clone and a 3-com 509 card. I am beging to think it might be a
mother bord promlme. Do you happen to know what mother board you had in
that machine? Did you install of of a CD or Network connection?

I have this real problme with just givin up, you understand. I have spent
way to manny hours on this to just give up. Any advice you might have
would be greatley appreicated.
Shawn Cupples
South Eugene High School
(541) 687-3122