List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [netatalk-admins] Compiling poppassd under RedHat 4.2/5.0
From:       Carl Beaudry <cbeaudry () usra ! edu>
Date:       1998-01-28 21:27:47

Mike Holling wrote:

> What does poppassd have to do with netatalk?

Nothing directly--except that it can be used to provide a graphical
interface for changing passwords, which is of no small importance to
sites using netatalk to support Macs without allowing telnet logins.

And though it's possible to change people's shells to /bin/passwd (or
somesuch), for a lot of sites, the ability to shut off telnet altogether
is a useful security measure and I, for one, would love to see the
Chooser's password changing command supported in some future iteration
of netatalk and poppassd might be one way to accomplishing that since it
already has some cgi support (wwwpass, etc.) and a reasonably well-known
interface.

So I'm sorry if this offends listdotpurists, but the C interface to
password decryption is directly relevant to netatalk and so this seemed
to be a reasonable use of bandwidth.

--Carl