List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-admins] Netatalk is very slow over slower connections
From:       Tobias Bussmann <t.bussmann () gmx ! net>
Date:       2014-10-09 17:05:08

Hi,

regarding the speed discussions - maybe I can share my experiences with an old Samba \
Server and recent OSX clients:  Performance depends a lot on the Finder's \
configuration: Make sure to switch off "calculate all sizes" (esp. in detail view), \
also disabling "icon preview" and "preview" itself esp. in column view may help. With \
older Finder versions, you could collapse the preview in the last column with the \
little triangle above. If I need to use a share over a slow mobile/VPN connection, I \
usually navigate in Terminal to the desired folder unter /Volumes/... as cd/ls is \
much faster and open the finder only in the target directory using "open ." command.

hth
Tobias