List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-admins] Backup compatibility ?
From:       Matt Connolly <matt.connolly.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-07-29 23:52:09

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 30/07/2011, at 9:20 AM, wch wrote:

> I transitioned from OS 10.6 to 10.7, and also switched from netatalk 2.0 to \
> 2.2beta4 at the same time. After I made some tweaks to the config files, everything \
> worked fine.

I haven't upgraded my main system yet, but I'm used Lion on an external drive for \
testing with 2.2 without any issues.

> However, after a few weeks, I had some sort of corruption to the TIme Machine \
> sparsebundle. It said, "Time Machine completed a verification of your backups. To \
> improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you." I searched \
> around, and I think this means the disk image had some corruption. I don't think \
> this is was directly related to the upgrades, though. My backups have been kind of \
> slow and weird for a couple months; I think it has something to do with \
> disconnecting the computer from the network or putting it to sleep in the middle of \
> backups. After creating the new backup, everything seems to be fine.

I've had something similar happen about 3 or 4 times. I'm on a ZFS filesystem and I \
make regular snapshots, so I've just rolled back to a previous snapshot, run `dbd -r` \
and then it's been fine again. Snapshots are awesome, saved me from having to start a \
new backup every time :)