List:       netatalk
Subject:    [Netatalk-admins] adouble:osx working situation
From:       Keven Vachon <vkeven () sikv ! net>
Date:       2006-09-20 22:45:35

After some research I found that adouble:osx options is the best way for
me to solve my problems

In our prepess labs we’ve got a Kodak Prinergy that use the Microsoft AFP
Server(AFP2.2)or SMB so we got a lot of problems(slow,31
characters,backup,FILE LOCKING!!!)etc…The problem is , Kodak only support
Microsoft AFP server in their rather buggy product so I have only two
choice,leave with Microsoft AFP or used the adouble:osx options because
everyone know that you can’t use SMB client in a server environment
without having the file locking problem with it.If you don’t know what I’m
talking about try this(you need two mac),on the first mac create a new
photoshop file and save it on your SMB connect server , reopen the same
file on the second mac do some modifications and try to save it ,you will
got an error because the SMB client of apple doesn’t close the resource
fork correctly(when is connected in SMB) and because of this you can’t
save the file anymore or you need to change his name . So to solve ours
problems we need a server that is able to serve file in AFP ( to prevent
file locking ) and that is also able to keep the resource fork structure
of Mac OS X when his connected in SMB mode ( this is required for our
Prinergy archive system ) . I don’t why company done products based on
Microsoft AFP 2.2 ( in which year are you!!? ) .

Never buy kodak products , they know nothing about anything , we always ask kodak for \
support and the only response you got is NON-ISSUE!(AFP 2.2 my god WTF!!!). The \
problem is simple , Kodak buy the prinergy system from heidelberg but the development \
is stop since 2000 and kodak doesn't have the competence to do support correctly .