List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-admins] Problem with character encoding
From:       didier <dgautheron () magic ! fr>
Date:       2006-08-31 9:53:23

Hi
Le vendredi 25 août 2006 à 10:54 -0400, Matthieu Lalonde a écrit :
> Hello, I've been using netatalk under NetBSD (3.1/macppc, pkgsrc
> install) for a while and it's been working flawlessly. I recently
> decided to move my MP3 library to the file server. After I did this I
> realized some of the files would not open remotely (client is Mac OS
> 10.4.x). At first I was worried that the files didn't copy properly
> when I changed filesystem from HFS+ to FFS; even though I did do a
> decent consistency check after copying. But the files exist on the
> local file system and appear uncorrupted. I later realized only files
> with accented (French) characters did this. Files affected by this
> regain their accessibility if I remove the accents on the server
> side. Thus, I have come to the conclusion that character encoding is
> to blame. Accents do not show up properly on the filesystem, but
> instead appear as "??". Although, only files are affected by this,

"??" On the client or the server? Can you attache an example of ?? file?
( ls  |od -c)

> directory are displayed with their proper accented chars. I have
> tried setting the unixcodepage option to UTF8, but to no avail. I've
> searched the mailing list archive and the web, but to no avail. Is
> removing all accented character the only option or is there a way of
> fixing this using unixcodepage/maccodepage?
What's in .AppleDestop/.volinfo ?

> On a side note, I have noticed that "." files get messed up by the
> Finder. For example ".svn" will be changed to ":2esvn", is there a
> way of fixing this other than running a cron script?
It's not a bug, it's a feature :)
Files .yyy created by Mac clients are encoded with . replaced by :2e,
The idea is to hide .xxx Unix files  to Mac client. It was important
with pre OSX not so now.
There's a volume option 'usedot' (double check with the doc) for not
using this feature but it's incompatible with some applications, when
they save a file it disappears, it's a netatalk bug.

Didier