List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-admins] afpd's appearing as uid 0?
From:       didier <dgautheron () magic ! fr>
Date:       2005-07-25 15:58:27

Lars Grobe wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have the strange case of afpd processes under process id 0 appearing with
> the user's real name shown by macusers and nu. The uams used are guest and
> dhx. Guest is needed to allow OS X to mount users' home directories. In any
> case, only the daeomon waiting for connections should run as uid 0, not any
> of the connected ones, right? Are there any known situations where this can
No, netatalk is a seteuid process. Most of the time it's running as the
connected user but it can go back to root.

> appear (we are a bit worried about our system's integrity now).
- All your users are in the admin group and then they are really running
as root all the time. I haven't check but I think in that case macusers
and nu would list them as root.

Or  your ps/top, whatever show the effective user id, not the real user id.

Didier