List:       netatalk
Subject:    [Netatalk-admins] Charset interoperability with samba
From:       Dieter Rothacker <dieter.rothacker () 2wia ! com>
Date:       2004-03-26 10:06:40

Hi,

I want to have samba2/3 and netatalk2 running on the same machine
allowing access to the same folders.

Since I had migrated from netatalk-1.6.4 I have until now been using
"volcharset:ISO-8859-1", which gives me German Umlauts displayed
correctly on OS9/OSX/Windows (using samba-2.2.8a currently).

I am now a bit confused whether I should switch to UTF-8 when installing
a new machine. I got the impression that both samba3 (not 2.2.8a) and
netatalk2 can use UTF-8 but cannot store the extended characters in the
same format (precomposed vs. decomposed).

So am I right that I would be better of relying on iconv and
"volcharset:ISO-8859-1"?
--
dieter rothacker_systemadministration
werbewelt werbeagentur gmbh_http://www.werbewelt.com