List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-admins] Speeding up searches?
From:       James Rouse <james () betleywhitehorne ! com>
Date:       2003-12-22 14:56:09

Thankyou for the information, I'm guessing I cant implement this under OS
9 though?

How would one actually use this in OS X? We're moving to 10.3 in the next
month, if I can convince the boss that all will be ok when we're moved to
X he'll be happy. How dare I suggest that to find things more easily, they
might adopt a standardised way of organising the filing!

A PC admin in a Mac world,

James

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:30:45 +0100, Thomas Kaiser
<Thomas.Kaiser@phg-online.de> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:08:19 -0000, James Rouse wrote:
>
>> There must be a way to speed this up?
>
> There exists a feature called FPCatSearch that is supposed to not do a
> brute
> force search in the server's filesystem but instead a simple search in
> the
> volumes's 'desktop databases'.
>
> Unfortunately this ability exists only in recent versions and is still
> very
> slow (one of the developers told me that the reason for this are
> performance
> problems of the database used by netatalk --> BerkeleyDB)
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas

James Rouse
Sysadmin / Web Developer