List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: [Netatalk-admins] Heeeeeelllllppp
From:       Thomas Kaiser <Thomas.Kaiser () phg-online ! de>
Date:       2002-06-29 12:09:48

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002 12:51:25 +0100, Richy.fennell@Btinternet.com wrote:

> The reason I want to do this is to have the PS file appear on one of my
> Netatalk shares, It then gets ripped into a PDF using Acrobat distiller (on a
> Mac).

You know that you can speed this up by factor 5-10 when using Helios' Create
PDF server? The MacOS filehandling is pretty slow, so it's not a good idea
to use hotfolders when distilling on a Mac...

> I have seen some scripts that simply pipe the input to a file but I don't
> understand them and they don't cover the some of the issues you have raised
> (duplicate file names etc)
>
> I was just hoping that someone had already had this problem and had got round
> it.  :-(

Some people did that already...

> Thanks for your help though, At least I have a better idea of what I have to
> accomplish.
>
> Another quick question, Does netatalk still have to be restarted to share a
> new drive (all users get logged off)??

No. It's a two-step process

Each and every time, you connect to your server and the client fetchs the
volume list (see exception below) the contents of your AppleVolumes.* files
will be parsed and presented to the client. So just change the contents of
these files and the changes will have effect immediately.

But Macs don't fetch the volume list if they have already mounted a volume
from this server (the Mac compares the server signature of the server with
the list of mounted volumes). So for changes to take effect, they have to
umount all currently mounted volumes and then their Mac will fetch the
refreshed list from the server.

> Do you think that if I posed the printing question to the Netatalk-admins

You did that already... Mails to netatalk-admins@umich.edu will be forwarded
to the new list. Just ensure that you subscribe yourself to the list, so get
all the answers!

> they would have any ideas???

Maybe...

Thomas