List:       netatalk
Subject:    [Netatalk-admins] Re: quark (was: Re: Netatalk-admins digest, Vol 1 #101 - 1 msg)
From:       Thomas Kaiser <Thomas.Kaiser () phg-online ! de>
Date:       2002-06-19 7:30:32

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 16:15:51 -0400, Joe wrote:

> The good old boys at Quark did not play by the rules when they wrote the app.

There are two things to mention:

The one is the way, Xpress handles it's temporary work files (when opened
out of the 'open' dialog in Xpress, then save it locally, if opened by
doubleclicking in Finder then writing it beneath the opened file, so maybe
over AFP) and the other is the way Xpress complains about AFP protocol
violations.

In the first scenario if you open files directly over the network and the
temporary file is also stored on the server you will be affected by network
problems in a simple way: you won't be able to save your Xpress doc after
the AFP connection is dropped (which happens very quickly if something with
the file or folder IDs is wrong for example)

In the second scenario Xpress itself has a problem with linked images,
saving it's documents, etc. if the AFP server doesn't implement the AFP
specs in a proper way...

Just for your information: There are many people out there who manage to
work with Xpress files directly openend from AFP servers (at my location all
the Xpress stuff is done directly over the wire from two EtherShare servers)

> Quark crashes

It seems, that there is one real bug in Xpress regarding large volumes.

> or the server crashes

then you use the wrong one...

> or the classic environment crashes under OS X,

Let's talk about that when 10.2 is released. The people at Apple do a really
good job in developing MOSX but I think there is still much to do...

> or MacOS crashes

Yes, this can happen if something is wrong with your installation...

It seems that Xpress utilizes many AFP features in a way, you can use Xpress
as a stress test mechanism for protocol implementation issues with AFP
servers.

On the netatalk-developer list, the maintainer of EtherShare's AFP server
wrote:

    We did not put any special code into the AFP server just for XPress.
    We did have some bug fixes in our server code that were triggered by
    XPress in the past, but these were just plain bugs or protocol
    violations like returning the wrong error code or something similar.

    <http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=8622646&list=5215>

Regards,

Thomas