List:       netatalk
Subject:    Re: zones in netalk
From:       Thomas Kaiser <Thomas.Kaiser () phg-online ! de>
Date:       2001-11-27 21:12:18

Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:43:04 -0500, Wes Yates wrote:

> Funny, our NT box does drop printers from our network occasionally.
> Hmmmmm. Any solution (besides ditching the NT box?)

Sounds like the NT box captures the printers? You can look for it with
nbplkup too: If a NT machine will capture a printer it let the printer
publish itself with an 'illegal' AppleTalk device type "[NT's NetBIOS name]
Laserwriter" (instead of Laserwriter).

So if a PC called 'WINDOZE' will capture a printer, the printer will appear
with type 'WINDOZE Laserwriter' in your AppleTalk LAN and can't be
recognized by the Laserwriter chooser extension.

To avoid this, check the NT's setup or hide the printers with EtherShare and
create spoolers for each of them (you could do this manually too. But then
you have to patch all your Laserwriter drivers to recognize the different
device type)

> Speaking of Helios, we have that running on an SGI IRIX as out print
> spooler (not my decision). Would/could that be running as a router?

EtherShare can act as a router, of course. If the SGI has only one
interface, it won't in any case. Helios' implementation of AppleTalk routing
is polite as Netatalk's is: If another router on the net disagrees with the
routing setup, it won't activate AppleTalk Routing on the specific NIC
(trying to avoid AppleTalk confusion)

> In your reference <http://www.transit.hanse.de/netatalk/router.html>,
> I tried to get the zone information. of course there wasn't any and I
> didn't know at the time if I had a router. My assumption, correctly I
> hope is that when I started all the Appletalk devices, they assumed a
> network address from the network range of that segment.

This should be true. I took a look into another company (they have a
'firewall' now, they told me... hmm ;-):

      EPSON_7000_sammelform_neu:LaserWriter                        1.78:129
O.R.I.S. for EPSON Stylus Pro 70:LaserWriter                       1.78:130
                       ORIS-CT1:DceDspRpc DynEpt 95.1              1.78:132
                       ORIS-CT1:AFPServer                          1.78:133
                       ORIS-CT1:DceDspRpc Endpoint Mapper          1.78:135
                  El90x1@TAIPAN:Microsoft( Windows NT* Prt 4.00    1.117:2
                       Norm_LZW:LaserWriter                     65469.65:185
                     Font_Kanal:LaserWriter                     65469.65:186
                   Norm_LZW_SEP:LaserWriter                     65469.65:187
                          PILOT:AFPServer                       65469.65:135

They haven't routers, so all devices should register themselves in the
AppleTalk startup range 65280 and above. Two machines won't... NT, of course

> [...]
>> I learned my first lessons from the Helios EtherShare manual. Appendix A-3
>> describes all the above in detail...
>
> PDF format available?

Of course. On every installation CD is a full set of all product's manuals.

> We have Helios.

Tehn you will have the manuals, too... ;-)

Regards,

Thomas