List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: Problem in sending SNMP V3 Traps
From:       "Rangarajan Krishnan" <rangarajan.krishnan () wipro ! com>
Date:       2001-06-29 5:34:00

hello Mr. Wes,
    I tried using the trapsess directive as you had suggested (below)
but still go the same problem. The trapsess directive that is there in
the /usr/local/share/snmp/snmpd.conf is as given below

 trapsess -Ci -v 3 -u rwuser_name -l noAuthNoPriv -a MD5 -A password
 peer_IP_ADDRESS

 peer_IP (in which ucd is running) had the same rwuser_name and password
 configured for V3 requests, i.e., same rwuser and password.

  when I started the agent (snmpd) it gave me this error given below

 /usr/local/share/snmp/snmpd.conf: line 52: Error: snmpd: failed to
parse
 this line
 snmpd: snmpd_parse_config_trapsess(): Timeout
 ucd-snmp: 1 error(s) in config file(s)

 I tried the same trapsess with local machine as the host. Even then the
 same error popped up.

 Again I tried using the same directive without -Ci option. Again the
 same error popped up.

 Lastly I tried using the trapsess directive without -Ci option with
 localhost as HOSt parameter, even then the same error popped up.

    When I define the parameters to the trapsess directive, using
 snmpconf utility, it puts the information in the snmpd.conf file as
 given below (With quotes)

 trapsess "-v 3 -u rwuser_name -l noAuthNoPriv -a MD5 -A pwd" HOST

 Again when i run the agent it gives me this error

 Invalid version specified after -v flag: 3 -u rw_name -l noAuthNoPriv
 -a MD5 -A pwd

I tried even giving the version parameter as -v (3) (as specified in
snmpcmd help), even then it didn't work.
  Is there any other way we can issue V3 traps, other than using the
trapsess directive?
 I am really not knowing how to go about. Can you please help me.

warm regards
RANGARAJAN.K