List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: Regarding Bulk data transfer
From:       Dave Shield <D.T.Shield () csc ! liv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-11-29 13:41:40

> I tried to set an ASN_OCTET_STR type of node
> with Hp openview Manager I could set a string
> of upto 4500 bytes
> while with ucd commandline set operation (available on linux)
> I could set only 2500 bytes .

The UCD library uses a fixed-size buffer for holding an encoded
packet (whether encoded before sending out over the network, or
before parsing a received packet).   This is defined as 1472
bytes (based on the maximum size of an Ethernet packet).

   Although you could probably re-compile the UCD tools to use
a larger buffer size, you need to be aware that the agents/managers
you're talking to may also have a similar limit.

Dave