List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: UCD-SNMP 4.1
From:       Dave Shield <D.T.Shield () csc ! liv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-11-29 9:25:34

> I installed ucd-snmp 4.1 on a lunix box. I am sure wether this server works
> as a server or an agent.

Both.   "Agent" is simply the SNMP terminology for a server.

> can somebody explain how this software works

I suggest you get hold of a good book on SNMP, and try working through that.
Possibilities include "The Simple Book" by Marshall Rose (somewhat old now,
but still valid for the basic model of operation), or "SNMP and RMON" by
William Stallings (which covers all three versions of SNMP).

>                                     or point me to a doc site were
> I can go through the documentation.

Try
	http://www.inforamp.net/~kjvallil/t/snmp.html

which seems to have some general background information.

>                                      The documentation available at the
> homesite did not help me in understanding how this software works

Probably not - we tend to assume that you're familiar with the basics
of SNMP, and so concentrate on the specifics of our particular packages.

Hope this helps

Dave