List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: SNMP TRAP through sub-agent
From:       Dave Shield <D.T.Shield () csc ! liv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-11-29 9:15:45

mxie> The manager host I have configured is running some commercial SNMP
mxie> application. It can't receive any trap message if it is from sub-agent.
mxie> But if the manager host is running the UCD utility snmptrapd, it receives
mxie> the trap no matter if it's from master agent or sub-agent.

niels> In that case, it seems that the traps are sent out, but the management
neils> station ignores it, right?

That's what it sounds like to me.

niels> Does the ucd snmptrapd show any differences in the format of
niels> the traps received?

What version of trap are you generating?  I.e. do you have a 'trapsink',
a 'trap2sink' or an 'informsink' directive in the config file?
   The UCD master agent currently doesn't generate legal SNMPv1 traps
when they're received from a subagent.   It does send them out, but with
a generic trap value of "-1".   The UCD trap handler is sufficiently
forgiving to accept these - it may be that the commercial product is
more strict.

  Try configuring with 'trap2sink', to generate (valid) SNMPv2 traps.

  I'd hoped to be able to fix this problem before the release, but I think
time's probably running out on us.

Dave