List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: Using "pass" scripts and proxying
From:       Robert Story <rstory () freesnmp ! com>
Date:       2017-10-28 18:22:58

On Fri, 01 Sep 2017 13:05:39 -0400 edwin@claytonzone.com wrote:
EC> I have a situation where I'm using net-snmp to proxy snmp v3
EC> requests to snmp v2c with contexts to define where to send the
EC> forwarded queries.
EC>
EC> This part is all fine. Where I'm running into trouble is that
EC> the system doing the polling can't contend with interface
EC> indexes over 100. We're only monitoring a couple interfaces per
EC> device, but some of them have high indexes. I have written a
EC> pass script that can do the translation to a lower index number
EC> and perform the poll itself, but unfortunately it never gets
EC> called unless I'm querying localhost on the snmp proxy machine.
EC> I assume it is because in the proxy statement, you define what
EC> part of the tree to proxy, which currently is .1.3, so it just
EC> proxies it unconditionally without going through all the pass
EC> statements.
EC>
EC> Knowing that what I'm trying to do is get a response back on
EC> the same OID, but a different index value, anybody have any
EC> suggestions?

You need to use the '-p priority' option with the pass config in
snmpd.conf. From the snmpd.conf man page:

  The default registration priority is 127.  This can be  changed
  by  supplying  the optional  -p  flag,  with  lower priority
  registrations being used in preference to higher priority values.

Robert