List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: Where to find SNMP MIB files close to root?
From:       Martin T <m4rtntns () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-07-10 8:48:21

Jean-Marc,

sorry, I think my initial e-mail was bit unclear. I am aware that
.iso.org.dod(.1.3.6) is an OID, not a MIB. What I meant with the
output of "snmptranslate -IR -On -Td internet" is that in case I had
standard bodies MIBs installed, the output of snmptranslate would be:

$ snmptranslate -IR -On -Td internet 2>/dev/null
.1.3.6.1
internet OBJECT-TYPE
  -- FROM	SNMPv2-SMI, RFC1155-SMI, SNMPv2-SMI-v1
::= { iso(1) org(3) dod(6) 1 }
$

..but as I don't have standard bodies MIBs installed, the output is:

$ snmptranslate -IR -On -Td internet 2>/dev/null
$

In other words, snmptranslate is not able to find the OID for
"internet" object. I know that I can copy the SNMPv2-SMI MIB file from
another box to the one with the fresh snmp installation or download
the SNMPv2-SMI MIB file from for example
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2&mibName=SNMPv2-SMI
, but I was simply bit surprised that it is not shipped with
"libsnmp-base" package and I also could not find it from
http://www.net-snmp.org/docs/mibs/

regards,
Martin