List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    cannot SET system.sysLocation/ system.sysContact
From:       Patrick Cumming <patrick.cumming () intrasonics ! com>
Date:       2014-12-05 8:44:18

Hi,
I am fairly new to snmp and net snmp but have been unable to find an
answer to a problem described below:

It does not seem to be possible to set system.sysLocation and
system.sysContact using an SNMP SET.
The net snmp agent is version 5.4.2.1 running on Digi Embedded Linux 5.9.
SNMP GET on system.sysLocation and system.sysContact works ok but when a
SET always results in  'There is no such variable name in this mib.
Errindex: 1'.
These are both read write in the MIB definition.

In snmpd.conf syslocation and syscontact are commented out and my
understanding is that they shoud only be read only if they are present
in snmpd.conf.
The access control has been modified to allow read write access and
system.sysName and snmp.snmpEnableAuthenTraps can be SET so it is not a
write permissions issue.

How do I allow the setting of system.sysLocation/ system.sysContact
(appart from removing them from snmpd.conf which I have already done).

Many thanks,
Patrick Cumming