List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: Implementing SNMPv3 encryption and decryption
From:       "Dave Shield" <D.T.Shield () liverpool ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2007-11-29 8:58:32

On 28/11/2007, Forbes II, John D <john.d.forbes.ii@lmco.com> wrote:
> I am currently trying to implement SNMPv3 encryption and decryption into my
> existing application. My client needs to be able to send my application
> SNMPv3 encrypted messages which will be authenticated and decrypted for
> parsing by my software. The sc_decrypt() function looks to be what I need
> but I am unsure how to acquire all of the necessary parameters from the
> message itself. Can anyone tell me the best way for my application to
> calculate the necessary keys and IV value for decryption of the v3 message?

The SNMP message will include the username for that particular message.
Your application will need a local database of configured users and their
associated keys.   The IV value is calculated from the privParameters field
of the SNMP message, and the user's privacy key.

See the routine snmpusm.c:usm_process_in_msg() for details.

Dave