List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: problems with rpm installation
From:       "Dave Shield" <D.T.Shield () liverpool ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2007-11-25 19:43:08

On 21/11/2007, Angela Palladino <a.palladino@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using net-snmp 5.4.1. I have successfully installed and tested it
> using manual commands (configure, make, make install).
> I created a rpm package using the spec file, but when I install it
> I'have noticed two strange behaviours:
> - when agent is launched it takes a while before it starts to work
>     (approximately 30 secs)

Try starting the agent using
    "snmpd -f -Le ...."

Does it report anything interesting while it's starting up?
(Particularly in the first 30s, and when things finally start working).

> - get of some variables returns unexpected values

Like what?

> The only difference between the two installations seems to be files
> location (i.e. /usr/sbin instead of /usr/local/sbin).

That feels like a difference in the way "configure" was run.
The default configuration builds everything under /usr/local
/usr/sbin would normally be used by a vendor-supplied agent,
rather than one you compiled yourself.

Dave