List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: How to get ipaddress
From:       Dave Shield <D.T.Shield () csc ! liv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2006-02-24 9:22:33

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 09:50 +0530, Nithin wrote:
>     Can any one tell, what does it mean by atIfindex.

>From RFC 1213:

atIfIndex OBJECT-TYPE
    DESCRIPTION
            "The interface on which this entry's equivalence
            is effective.  The interface identified by a
            particular value of this index is the same
            interface as identified by the same value of
            ifIndex."

> Why it is showing '1' for all mac/ip addresses.

I suspect that the switch probably only has one (logical)
network interface for communicating with the box itself.

Note that network interfaces as reported in the ifTable
are *not* necessarily the same as physical switch ports.

If you want to monitor which systems are connected to which
ports of the switch, you probably need to investigate the
BRIDGE-MIB (RFC 1493/4188), and in particular, dot1dTpFdbTable

But note that this is only concerned with *MAC* addresses.
A switch would typically be working at level 2, and would
not normally bother recording the IP addresses of traffic
it sees (even assuming that this traffic was IP-based in
the first place!)

Dave