List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Need help adding new MIB in Debian disto
From:       KEVIN ZEMBOWER <KZEMBOWE () jhuccp ! org>
Date:       2003-05-30 14:18:56

I'm looking for sources of information on how to add a vendor MIB to the Debian \
stable version of SNMP, which is currently UCD-snmp version: 4.2.3. I'm trying to add \
an MIB from Dell for my PowerEdge servers, for the 10892 (Dell) branch. This is my \
first work with SNMP in general, so I'm still getting used to the terms and \
techniques.

So far, I've got the Debian SNMP working; I can snmpwalk and retrieve values. I've \
gotten the source code, using 'apt-get source snmp' and tried to modify the \
debian/rules file, but after I do that and recompile and package the system, then \
install the new package, I still can't get any more information from snmpwalk, and it \
complains that it "Cannot find module (MIB-Dell-10892): At line 0 in (none)."

Are there any sources of information on what I have to do in the Debian package to \
add a vendor MIB? Anyone who's done this before willing to outline the steps? I \
searched on 'Debian' on the archives of this list, but got no relevant hits in the \
last 18 months. I've written to the Debian maintainer of the SNMP package, but he \
hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139