List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: How does system date/time changes affect net-snmp
From:       Wes Hardaker <hardaker () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2002-01-31 18:59:14

>>>>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:51:35 -0500, "Clayton" <kevin_clayton@yahoo.com> said:

kevin> I have a third-party database that will issue SNMP traps
kevin> in response to it's own failures (low memory, daemon exits, etc).

kevin> I would like to use snmptrapd to catch those traps and react
kevin> to them. (In truth, it looks like snmptrapd could be all I need
kevin> from the net-snmp suite).

kevin> Currently there are no real symptoms, I attempting
kevin> to evaluate what would happen upon system date/time changes
kevin> before I got too far down the path.

kevin> In looking at the source, it seems that snmplib/tools.c provides
kevin> utility functions (atime_diff, atime_ready, etc) for manipulation
kevin> of marker_t structs. It doesn't appear that these get utilized
kevin> by snmptrapd however.

kevin> Best I can tell, the operation of snmptrapd is not adversely
kevin> affected by changes in the system date/time.

You'll find that snmptrapd is capable of logging the local system
time (according to snmptrapd, not the remote host).  If it's not doing
this for you now, put the following line in your snmptrapd.conf file
if you want it to:

[snmp] logTimestamp true

--
Wes Hardaker