List:       net-snmp-users
Subject:    Re: SNMPv3 :Error in packet :Authentication Failure?
From:       Wes Hardaker <hardaker () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2002-01-30 6:32:39

>>>>> On 28 Jan 2002 07:50:16 EST, jyoti yaduwanshi <jyoti_2k@usa.net> said:

jyoti> I have created a user as follows :
jyoti> createUser myuser MD5 my_password DES

Looks good.

jyoti> and i have an enty of this user in my snmpd.conf file.

I assume you mean you put the above line in your snmpd.conf file?

jyoti> now when i issue any command (snmpget/snmpgetnext/...) with v3
jyoti> option then error is generated with a reason : authentication
jyoti> failure.

It sounds like passwords aren't getting matched properly somewhere or
another.  One possible cause is that the snmpd.conf file you put that
line in is not getting read.  Or you're not getting the command line
options quite right.  You might try reading the tutorial at
http://www.net-snmp.org/tutorial/snmpv3.html and see if it triggers
something in your mind.

--
Wes Hardaker