List:       net-snmp-support
Subject:    [ net-snmp-Support Requests-421386 ] traphandle directive does start command
From:       noreply () sourceforge ! net
Date:       2001-05-04 15:13:16

Support Requests item #421386, was updated on 2001-05-04 08:13
You can respond by visiting:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=212694&aid=421386&group_id=12694

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Hi:

I'm look for some help related to the traphandle
directive of snmptrapd.  I have reviewed the man page
and the FAQ.  I have copied the sample script from the
man page and I use it as the command to call from the
directive.  For starters I have chossen "default" to
see if I get any output from the script at all, I
don't.

I know that snmptrapd is reading the config file
because if I typeo the traphanlde directive I get an
error while parsing the file when snmptrapd starts.

The details:
------------
Caldera Linux V2.2.10
net-snmp V4.2.1

snmptrapd.conf:
---------------
traphandle default /root/traps default-trap

traps script to be called:
--------------------------
#!/bin/sh

read host
read ip
vars=

while read oid val
do
  if [ "$vars" = "" ]
  then
    vars="$oid = $val"
  else
    vars="$vars, $oid = $val"
  fi
done

echo trap: $1 $host $ip $vars >>traps.out

If I run my traps script from the command line I get
the desired output in the traps.out file, but nothing
shows up from snmptrapd.  Traps are being logged to
syslog and showing up in the snmptrapd log file I
created.

Thanks for any help.
Dale