List:       net-snmp-coders
Subject:    IF-MIB::ifOperStatus wtih ifup/ifdown commands
From:       Josef Ridky <jridky () redhat ! com>
Date:       2017-05-25 13:12:47

Hi,

I would like to ask you for your opinion/hint about this report:

------- BEGIN -------
Description of problem:
SNMP IF-MIB::ifOperStatus doesn't report correct status of NIC if it is brought down with ifdown command

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Install net-snmp
2. Bring down network interface using ifdown
3. Execute $snmpwalk -v 2c  -c public localhost interface

Actual results:
net-snmp reports incorrect ifOperStatus

Expected results:
net-snmp should reports correct ifOperStatus

Additional info:

[root@dhcp5-123 ~]# ifdown eth0
Device 'eth0' successfully disconnected.

[root@dhcp5-123 ~]# snmpwalk -v2c -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2
IF-MIB::ifDescr.1 = STRING: lo
IF-MIB::ifDescr.2 = STRING: ens3
IF-MIB::ifDescr.3 = STRING: virbr0
IF-MIB::ifDescr.4 = STRING: virbr0-nic
IF-MIB::ifDescr.5 = STRING: eth0

[root@dhcp5-123 ~]# snmpwalk -v2c -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8
IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.1 = INTEGER: up(1)
IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.2 = INTEGER: up(1)
IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.3 = INTEGER: down(2)
IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.4 = INTEGER: down(2)
IF-MIB::ifOperStatus.5 = INTEGER: up(1)

I have found, that in case, the LAN cable is physically unplugged, than ifOperStatus is correct.
However, when are used ifup/ifdown commands, than ifOperStatus is wrong.

Do you have any workaround or hint how can be this issue solved?

Regards

Josef Ridky
Associate Software Engineer
Core Services Team