List:       net-snmp-coders
Subject:    Re: util_funcs headers are not installed
From:       Wes Hardaker <hardaker () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2010-06-17 18:32:22

MF> I also think that -lnetsnmpmibs shouldn't be part of the default link
MF> command for subagents as that contains implementation details for the
MF> installed agent, not library routines for general use.

Unfortunately, that's not true.  We've always wanted to have multiple
libraries where some functions were separated from the other MIB modules
but the actual dividing of that line has always been blurry at best.
EG, some mib modules require functions from the iftable implementation,
etc.  It's much harder to separate the generic from not.  The default
link line definitely should include netsnmpmibs.  People that want to
optimize it out will be much smarter (I hope) than the people that just
want to get something to compile.

MF> To mess things up further some things under mibgroup/ ends up in
MF> -lnetsnmpagent (e.g the agentx routines) and so I suppose they are
MF> public interfaces(?) but the headers for those parts ain't
MF> installed.

Mibgroup header installation has always been a problem; I was actually
just contimplating a configure fix for that yesterday in fact.

>> Shouldn't it be part of the agent itself?

MF> I'd prefer if it wasn't - the parts that remain in util_funcs.h at the
MF> moment are used by

The real goal was to have them "includable".  They shouldn't be part of
the agent if none of the mib modules you're compiling in needs them.
The nice thing about support infrastructure in the "modules" is that
they're only compiled as needed.
--
Wes Hardaker
Please mail all replies to net-snmp-coders@lists.sourceforge.net