List:       net-snmp-coders
Subject:    INCONSISTENTNAME error on attempted password change
From:       Geoffrey Bays <charioteer7 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-10-12 14:34:41

Net-Snmp coders:

I have wrapped net-snmp in a C++ application, and I am trying to get a
password change functionality to work.
I am able to successfully change  a user's own password using the
snmpusm command line tool, but not with
my application. I get an INCONSISTENTNAME error (error int = 18) every
time I call snmp_synch_response.

The method this app uses to figure the particular user's location in
the usmUserTable is to query the table via GETNEXT for
all of the user security names, and then loop through and find the
desired user name. Then we get the particular Oid suffix for that
user,
that is, the oid numbers beyond the user security name OID, and append
that suffix onto the usmUserOwnAuthKeyChangeOid to change the
password.

The app replicates the function calls used in snmpusm.c, except that
the manner of getting the user is as I describe above.
The generateKu, generateKul and encode_keychange functions all return
without error.

The resulting Oid suffix follows pretty much what I see in the
/var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf file for that user, except that there is a
mystery single digit between the
engineId and the hashed user security name. I also notice in
/var/net-snmp/snmpd.conf that all the users have a NULL in the place
for userCloneFrom, despite the
fact that the users were created via cloning with the snmpusm tool.

I am able to use the retrieved user suffix with the usmUserSpinLock
Oid to retrieve and set that value, so it would appear that the user
suffix is valid.

I also know from looking at the agent code in usmUser.c, that is the
user is not cloned, then an INCONSISTENTNAME error will be returned.

Any thoughts about what might be causing the problem here?

Thanks in advance,

Geoffrey Bays