List:       net-snmp-coders
Subject:    Re: what's the difference between read-write and read-create?
From:       Dave Shield <D.T.Shield () liverpool ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2009-04-29 7:38:11

2009/4/29 Kang Chen <Kang.Chen@ecitele.com>:
> When define a mib table, some mib node’s access property
> are read-write and some are read-create.

Not in the same table, I hope!
Within a single table, you should use *either* read-write,
*or* read-create,  but you can't mix the two.
   (See RFC 2578, section 7.3, paragraph 4)

> I want to know the difference between them.

read-create means that it makes sense to try and create
a new row in the table.   read-write means that it doesn't.

You can validly use SET with an existing instance of a
read-write object,  but you can't try to create a new one.

See RFC2578, section 7.3 for details.
Or any good book on SNMP & MIBs should cover this.

Dave