List:       net-snmp-coders
Subject:    Re: subagent
From:       Magnus Fromreide <magfr () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2008-02-19 20:30:36

On mån, 2008-02-18 at 11:14 +0530, Pranesh Kulkarni wrote:

> Hi ,
>   I am using now mib2c.mfd.conf option , but with 3 tables , have to
> run as 3 separate subagent .
>   Which will be best option from performance wise or architrcture wise
>      Keeping 3 subagagents for 3 tables ,OR single subagent for 3
> tables ??

If your three tables are handling related data then I think it would be
better to keep their implementation together.

As for performance, if you have one subagent that registers a longer
range then the master agent could offload a longer request so that it
might end up not having to query the next subagent but I think it is
more important to keep the tables logically connected.
It should be noted that instance registrations (in agentx, not net-snmp
terminology) allows even more optimization opportunities.

Finally it is worth mentioning that the optimizations mainly are of
relevance for GetBulk.

/MF