List:       net-snmp-coders
Subject:    Re: some questions about snmpd.conf ,set and mibII
From:       Dave Shield <D.T.Shield () csc ! liv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2005-11-29 11:06:02

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 18:25 +0800, Zax wrote:
> if I don't use configure file, I can't get any info
> from the agent with community public.

That's correct.
The agent doesn't provide any information unless you
configure it to do so.

> If I write 'rwcommunity xxxxxx' in configure file , that is OK.

Yes.

> I want to know what the default community is.

There is no "default community".
You need to specify the community to use in both the
snmpd.conf file, and when sending SNMP requests.

"public" is the most common choice for "open-access",
but you need to explicitly say that you want to use this.
We don't make that decision for you.

> 2.Why does not using mib2c to create all the framework code
>  in folder \net-snmp-5.2.1\agent\mibgroup\mibII?

Because much of that code pre-dates the mib2c mechanism
by several years.  We do occasionally re-write a particular
MIB-2 group, and that tends to switch to one of the mib2c
frameworks.  But in general, we've concentrated on writing
new MIBs, rather than re-working existing ones.

Dave