List:       net-snmp-coders
Subject:    Re: SNMP Programming
From:       Robert Story <rstory () freesnmp ! com>
Date:       2005-08-30 15:05:09

On 25 Aug 2005 10:48:39 +0530 Peeyush wrote:
PB> I want to know the proper steps for configuring the SNMP protocol for
PB> monitoring.
PB>
PB> I have done it using "snmpconf -g basic_setup". But after configuration
PB> it is not working properly as i am not receving any snmp traps.

Did you configure trap destinations? If so, at the very least there should be
a trap on startup.

If you are looking for other traps, the agent doesn't usually send traps. If
you wan to monitor certain values and send traps based on conditions, see the
DISMAN Event MIB section of the snmpd.conf man page.

For receiving traps, you need to run snmptrapd. It doesn't need any
configuration to receive and log traps.

--
NOTE: messages sent directly to me, instead of the lists, will be deleted
      unless they are requests for paid consulting services.

Robert Story; NET-SNMP Junkie
Support: <http://www.net-snmp.org/> <irc://irc.freenode.net/#net-snmp>
Archive: <http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=net-snmp-coders>

You are lost in a twisty maze of little standards, all different.