List:       net-snmp-announce
Subject:    ucd-snmp-4.2.2 released
From:       Wes Hardaker <wes () hardakers ! net>
Date:       2001-10-10 17:39:22

I'm happy to announce the release of the ucd-snmp 4.2.2 package.  It
contains a few security related patches and many bug fixes to the
4.2.1 code release.  Due to the security patches, it is strongly
recommended that all users of the ucd-snmp package upgrade to the
4.2.2 release.

                    ****************************
                    ***       REMINDER       ***
                    ****************************

The ucd-snmp project has now moved from UCDavis, and is now based at
SourceForge (www.sourceforge.net), under the new name 'net-snmp'.  The
new project can be found at http://www.net-snmp.org/ The 4.2 line is
the last release line that will use the ucd-snmp name.  4.2.1, 4.2.2
and any subsequent ucd-snmp releases will be bug-fixes only.  All
further developments will be released under the net-snmp name.

Contents of this announcement
-----------------------------
  - What's special about today?
  - What has Changed since 4.2.1?
  - Where can I get it?
  - Are there binaries available?
  - What operating systems does it run on?
  - Which versions of the SNMP protocol are supported in this package?
  - I've found a bug or have a suggestion, how do I tell you about it?
  - Have the developers ever met?

What's special about today?
---------------------------

  I was actually planning on sending out this announcement yesterday,
  but John Naylon pointed out to me that October 10th, 2001 is the 1
  year anniversary of the date I first created the net-snmp project on
  the sourceforge project servers.  Progress on what will be the first
  net-snmp release is progressing well, and many many improvements and
  features are planned for it.  We're hoping that net-snmp-5.0 will be
  available early next year.

What has Changed since 4.2.1?
----------------------------

  *4.2.2*
   Security Bug Fixes:
      - A few security bugs have been found and fixed. No known exploits
        have been released to date. However, users are encouraged to
        upgrade to the 4.2.2 release as soon as possible.

   Bug fixes:
      - many misc bug fixes.
      - misc documentation corrections.
      - updated libtool to 1.4.  This fixes a couple of platforms (eg, NetBSD).

   Ports:
      - mibII support for win32
      - It should compile and work on MacOS X (Darwin)
      - udpTable supported on solaris.
      - win32 borland compiler supported (see win32/config.h.borland)

   New:
      - tkmib supports SETs and saving of configuration data.
      - snmpwalk detects out of order OIDs being returned from an agent.
      - snmpset accepts the '=' sign for a datatype if the mib is
        available to extract the datatype from instead.

   Consult the ChangeLog file for a more detailed breakdown.

Where can I get it?
------------------

  Download:
    - http://www.net-snmp.org/download/
    - ftp://ftp.net-snmp.org/pub/sourceforge/net-snmp/ucd-snmp.tar.gz
  Web page:
    - http://www.net-snmp.org/
  Sourceforge Project page:
    - http://www.net-snmp.org/project/
  Mirrors:
    - Bulgaria:  http://rtfm.uni-svishtov.bg/net-snmp/
    - Japan:     ftp://ftp.ayamura.org/pub/net-snmp/

  Mirrors of the older ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu site:
    - ftp://ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu/ucd-snmp.tar.gz
    - ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch:/mirror/ucd-snmp/ucd-snmp.tar.gz
    - ftp://ftp.win.ne.jp/pub/network/snmp/ucd-snmp/ucd-snmp.tar.gz
    - ftp://ftp.chg.ru/pub/networking/management/snmp/ucd-snmp/ucd-snmp.tar.gz
    - ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/ucd-snmp/ucd-snmp.tar.gz
    - ftp://archive.logicnet.ro/mirrors/ucd-snmp.ucdavis.edu/

Are there binaries available?
----------------------------

  - There are binaries for some systems available in the binaries
    directory on the web/ftp sites.  Binaries can not legally include
    support for privacy (encryption) due to US exportation laws.  If
    you need privacy support, please get the source code and build it
    for yourself (and make sure you have OpenSSL installed).

What operating systems does it run on?
-------------------------------------

  Both the applications and the agent have been reported as running
  (at least in part) on the following operating systems:

        * HP-UX (10.20 to 9.01)
        * Ultrix (4.5 to 4.2)
        * Solaris (2.8 to 2.3) and SunOS (4.1.4 to 4.1.2)
        * OSF (4.0, 3.2)
        * NetBSD (1.5alpha to 1.0)
        * FreeBSD (4.1 to 2.2)
        * BSDi (4.0.1 to 2.1)
        * Linux (kernels 2.4 to 1.3)
        * AIX (4.1.5, 3.2.5)
        * OpenBSD (2.8, 2.6)
        * Irix (6.5 to 5.1)
        * Windows (see the FAQ)

  Certain systems (e.g. HP-UX 11, Irix?) fail to compile particular
  portions of the agent.  These can usually be persuaded to compile
  (at the loss of some functionality) by omitting the modules affected.
  See the FAQ for details.

  It's quite possible it will run on some systems not listed above.

Which versions of the SNMP protocol are supported in this package?

  SNMPv1, SNMPv2c, and SNMPv3

I've found a bug or have a suggestion, how do I tell you about it?

  Please submit the bug to our bug-tracking system at
  http://www.net-snmp.org/bugs/

Have the developers ever met?
-----------------------------

  At every IETF convention, Wes holds a net-snmp roundtable where we
  gather, eat food, drink a beer and talk about anything under the
  sun.  Sometimes that even includes SNMP.  At the recent roundtable
  in August in London, we had the largest collection of people who
  have ever submitted code to the package collected in one place.  See
  http://www.net-snmp.org/party/ for further details.

  On a side note, I've personally now met all the core developers face
  to face except Niels Baggensen.  I guess I've got to figure out a
  way to get to Denmark!

We hope you enjoy this new release,
The UCD-SNMP Development Team