List:       nessus-plugins-writers
Subject:    Re: [Plugins-writers] Check for an application
From:       "George A. Theall" <theall () tenablesecurity ! com>
Date:       2006-06-13 19:46:05

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:24:35AM -0400, Ryan Petti wrote:

> I’m wondering if it’s possible to do ANY ONE of the
> following tasks without having admin rights to a client machine:
> 1) Check for the presence of a service and if possible whether it is
> active or not

Generally no, unless the service listens remotely and offers some way to
detect it.

> 2) Check for the presence of a specific file on the client system

No, not generally.

> 3) Check for the presence of an active connection on the client machine
> using a dynamic source address to a another specific server on a
> specific static destination port. For example, using netstat -a (in
> windows), this is the type of connection I would need to detect:

No, but in this case you might consider a different tool. Tenable's
Passive Vulnerability Scanner, formerly known as NeVO, would let you do
this and complement Nessus nicely. Or you could write a special rule in,
say, Snort.

George
--
theall@tenablesecurity.com