List:       nessus-plugins-writers
Subject:    Re: [Plugins-writers] mssql_blank_password.nasl and
From:       Dennis Jackson <Dennis.Jackson () ndirect ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-02-26 21:46:34

At 1:37 +0000 26/2/2004, H D Moore wrote:
> I consider these two separate vulnerabilities. The reason is that blank
> passwords are normally the result of a default configuration or insecure
> application install (many apps bundle a wide-open MSDE service), where a
> common or weak account password is a admin/developer training issue.

I would have thought the vulnerability is the same - an
easily guessable password.

However, the reason for the vulnerability may be the
result of different actions.

Although the name of the script is mssql_brute_force.nasl
it only check 11 different combinations of username and
password. It isn't really a brute force attempt at guessing
the password.

> Maybe move the login routines into a mssql_funcs.inc and have each plugin
> include it? Combining them into one plugin would work, provided the
> report differentiates between blank and weak passwords.

mssql_brute_force.nasl already reports the username and
password. The only addition would be an explanation that
a blank password is likely to be the result of a default
install.