List:       nessus-devel
Subject:    (Fwd) Re: Any Cygwin compile success????
From:       gboutwel () valleyhope ! com
Date:       2002-07-25 16:54:36

Moving the conversation here.

On 25 Jul 2002 at 17:27, Renaud Deraison wrote:

> Now, cygwin does have a fork() function. "So what's the deal" you may
> ask ? Well, they implemented fork() in an ingenious yet totally
> slow way - basically, it copies the whole amount of memory (5mb at each
> fork() call). That's slow. Horribly slow.

:)  Yes I'm all too familiar with this problem.  It's the road-block that
I hit on my afformentioned programming tool.  Acutally I ran into
the road-block that a fork() doesn't exist or is a royal pain to
implement (correctly/safely) if you aren't using cygwin (I was using
mingw for the project as the target users have an aversion to unix
inside windows environments).

> Honnestly, I'm not sure this is a good thing. I'm having a hard time
> with "unix users" already (for what is worth, I receive so many
> requests that I sometimes forget that my mailbox may receive
> personal messages too. And of course, people refer to Nessus as
> "your software" which make this kind of mail impossible to filter
> properly). The Windows user base is too large for me to handle.
>

> So the bottom line is: no windows support at this time. No no no no.

Understandable.  What if someone else stepped up to the plate and
handled the Windows support/users and 'proxied' for them?  I
understand the it's slow and I don't like giving that impression (what
would we have if not for a pride in our work?)

------- End of forwarded message ---------
George Boutwell,
Programmer II - Valley Hope Association
gboutwel@valleyhope.com